In the words of the modern philosopher Beyonce, “Who run the world? Girls“—and honestly, where is the lie? Every single day mothers, grandmothers, sisters, aunts, daughters, and other maternal figures wake up & choose to make the world go round.
For Mother’s Day 2021, we wanted to honor the hard work of all mothers & maternal figures by spotlighting a few mother-run organizations that are doing vital work in our communities:
- People’s Paper Co-op – A women led, women focused, women powered art and advocacy project. (Artwork pictured, Created by Mary Tremonte)
- Mama’s Bail Out Day / Decarcerate PA – The local chapter of a national movement to give incarcerated mothers an opportunity to spend Mother’s Day with their families.
- Mothers In Charge – A violence prevention, education and intervention-based organization that advocates for and supports those affected by violence.
- Oshun Family Center – Providing racially concordant care to members of the Black community that are struggling to cope with life transitions, especially those impacted by postpartum mood changes, birth, and racial trauma.
- Rae’s Roots – A wellness tea company for mothers, founded by a Chinese American mother.
PS. A mom can also be a place you go to eat & drink, where you feel safe & loved :’) Hint hint, it’s Tattooed Mom, and we love you <3